Recommended settings for Sony FS7

All discussions related to Cinematography, camera crew, cameras, rigs, grips, lights and other equipment and issues related to the Camera Department.

Team

Recommended settings for Sony FS7

Post by Team »

Sony FS7 is an awesome 4k S35mm size sensor camcorder from Sony.

Main things we like about this camera:

- Super 35mm Size sensor

- 4k Video

-  10-bit 4:2:2 imagery at just 50 Mbps

- 50FPS at 4k and higher upto 180 at lower resolutions

However, some things about the camera re tricky and the main being the complicated menu, and not knowing in a hurry what to set the camera at.

Here's my recommended basic settings:

- ISO : 2000 (Default ISO for the camera)
- PAL 25 FPS (this should be obvious for India)
- 4k (3840 x 2160), to best enjoy the PL Mount lenses.
- Shooting Mode 'Cine EI' or 'SLog3' for best colour space gathering while shooting
- Codec for recording : XAVCI
- Monitor LUT IS SET TO 709. I like it this way because 709 LUT is very contrasty. You know the camera is recording more information than this and can take risks.
- The S&Q (Slow and Quick) Motion Button on the top left hand side of the camera can quickly let you shoot preassigned 50FPS and back. You have to set this FPS in the settings.
- Higher frame rates are only possible with lower resolutions.
- Colour Temperature is what you are shooting.
- In the Shutter setting, select Angle instead of time. Its just the way I like to shoot from the film days. Its less messy too when you change frame rates.
- Peaking : I set to RED. he default is monochrome, but RED is just more visible and handy for those difficult focus times.

After the shoot, use DivergentMedia's EditReady for batch transcoding the footage from the cameras MXF to ProRes.

pxwfs7_LP_pxwfs7.jpg

The DesiShoots Support & Editorial Team

Return to “Cinematography”